The phrase, “paradigm shift” is cliché and used to over-hype something but I think it’s appropriate to describe the advent of social media and it’s growth over the past year. Facebook has 500 million users, which is quite an achievement, and a major studio made a big budget film so I think it would be safe to say that social media is not a fad and here to stay!
Along with the 500 million users of FB, here are some interesting statistics and an infograph (courtsey of WeCreateFans) that accurately confirms the propagation of social media into society and firmly puts the stake in ground to claim an official culture shift.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine on the web
- 50% of YouTube’s 300 millions users visit at least once a week
- Facebook usage is up 40% since last year
- 2.5 billions photos are uploaded to @facebook each month
- 96% of 18-35 year olds are on a social network
- 15% of bloggers spend 10 hours or more each week blogging
- 25% of search results for the World’s Top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations
- 1 in 5 americans age 18-35 use @twitter
- Twitter is adding 300,000 users a day